The rise of running as a sport, exercise, and as a leisure activity means there are more runners than ever on the streets and sidewalks.
However, what happens when you’re both an active, athletic person and a parent? Do you have to give up running once you have small children? Absolutely not! Enter the jogging stroller, designed for the parent who loves to be active and workout.
Why a Jogging Stroller?
It is important that parents recognize the necessity of purchasing the best jogging stroller. Jogging strollers are very different from traditional strollers.
Jogging strollers are created with running and activity in mind and, therefore, have very different design elements. Traditional strollers are not recommended for running and heavy exercise.
One of the design differences is that the frame of the jogging stroller is often ultra-lightweight. There are three wheels, instead of four, on jogging strollers.
The suspension on the best jogging stroller is quite different from what you would find on a different style of stroller.
These strollers are designed to take bumps and to maximize ease of use for the runner and the comfort factor for the child.
What Makes the Best Jogging Stroller? Five Factors to Consider
- Tires: Look carefully at the tires of any jogging stroller you may be considering. Jogging strollers have three tires instead of four. Theses should be large, stable tires, capable of being fixed in one position, if the terrain or activity calls for it. Locking the front wheel while jogging often adds more stability, so make certain that your jogging stroller’s front wheel can lock.
- Performance: How easy does the stroller go? How much extra effort are you required to expend to move the stroller? The best jogging stroller should have an easy ride. You should feel like you are gliding along. The stroller may also have an adjustable handle to make hand placement natural for you.
- Alignment: No one wants a jogging stroller that pulls to the left or the right. The best jogging stroller goes easy and straight. Always keep in mind how easy or difficult it is to fix the alignment on any particular stroller if it gets out of whack.
- Comfort for your Child: Does the seat recline? Is there a sun canopy to keep out harmful rays? What about the suspension system? Is the fabric soft, yet waterproof? These are vital questions to think about. Remember that your child will also be along for your run. Make sure to give them the smoothest ride possible. A helpful tip: the best jogging stroller has shocks to minimize the bumps to your child.
- Handbrakes: Handbrakes can be important on your jogging stroller because they help you maintain control over the stroller while cruising downhill on your run. Many jogging strollers don’t have this feature, so pay special attention and decide if that is an absolute necessity for you.
What If I Have More than One Child?
After having multiple children, it is even more important that parents are healthy and active. Parents with multiple children don’t need to worry.
There are double jogging strollers and even triple jogging strollers available for you and your children! We will review a few of the best double jogging strollers on the market for you! Triple jogging strollers are more rare, but there are still many excellent triple jogging strollers on the market.
Parents know that having multiple young children can be stressful. Regular exercise can help maintain equilibrium and well-being.
Remember: you have to take care of yourself if you’re going to be able to take good care of others. Double and triple jogging strollers make that possible.
Best Jogging Stroller Review: Schwinn Turismo Swivel Single Jogger
This jogger stroller feature a 12 inch front swivel wheel that locks forward when you want extra control and are jogging straight ahead.
The rear tires measure 16 inches and have wide tread for more stability. Weighing in at only 24.5 pounds, this stroller features a lightweight aluminum frame with an exposed spring suspension for a smooth and easy ride. An important factor is that Schwinn replacement parts are readily available.
A very unique and attractive feature on this jogging stroller is the MP3 speaker inside the stroller. This allows your children to listen to music and stay entertained, even on longer runs.
- Rubberized, adjustable handle
- Child tray with two cup holders
- Parent tray with two cup holders
- Dual trigger folding mechanism for safety
- Car seat adapter
- No handbrake
- May shudder if front wheel not in locked position
Best Jogging Stroller Review: Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller by Joovy
Joovy redesigned and updated their jogger stroller and check out these improvements! This jogger stroller is made with aircraft aluminum and is 10% lighter which means a lighter, breezier run for you.
The new design makes the stroller runs straighter and truer, thanks to a new axle system. The oversized sun canopy provides some of the best sun protection for your child available on the market.
The high riding seat means your child will have greater visibility and will be able to enjoy the ride. This is truly a best jogging stroller!
- High-end functionality
- One step linked parking brake
- Tire pump for topping off tires mid-run means less likelihood for flat tires
- Easy fold with auto-lock
- Parent organizer for beverages, keys and phone
- Easy assembly
- Handle bar is not adjustable.
- No handlebar brake.
Best Jogging Stroller Review: Revolution SE Single Stroller by BOB
There are so many features that make this premium stroller one of the best jogging strollers available.
From the two-position shock absorbers to the lightweight yet strong aluminum alloy frame, this is a beloved jogging stroller.
Easy accessibility is key. With one flip, this jogging stroller is open and ready to roll. When it is time to store it, a two-step folding frame makes it simple.
This stroller is well designed and goes straight and true on surfaces as varied as a rugged trail, gravel or smooth sidewalks.
Easy maneuverability makes it the perfect stroller for tight turns when jogging or even zooming around other shoppers at the mall.
There’s a reason that runners and other active parents rave about BOB jogging strollers and give them consistently high reviews. The Revolution SE truly earns the title of one of the best jogging strollers.
- Swiveling front wheel for situations that require maneuverability but also able to lock forward for jogging or rough terrain
- Exceptionally smooth ride for children
- Peace of mind from limited five year warranty on frame and limited one year warranty on fabric and small parts
- Minimal assembly required
- Padded seat that reclines for comfort
- Extra large canopy that offers exceptional sun protection
- Price: this is a high end stroller and may be out of reach for some parents
- Does not have an adjustable handlebar
- No handbrake
- No accessories such as a plastic cup holder
Best Double Jogging Stroller Review: Expedition Double Jogger Stroller by Baby Trend
This double jogging stroller uses all-terrain rubber bicycle tires which means that you should be good to go, whether you’re jogging on a trail or just strolling through town.
This is a dual-seat stroller that fits two children, up to 50 pounds each. This double jogging stroller has a locking front swivel wheel and a foot-activated rear brake system.
The best double jogging strollers can often be quite expensive, and this provides an affordable option for active parents.
- Large storage basket and covered storage compartment
- Parent tray with 2 cupholders for water during run
- Multi-position reclining seat for comfort while riding in double jogging stroller
- 5 point safety harness keeps children in place and safe
- Does not come with child tray
- Front wheel may shake when not in locked position
Best Double Jogging Stroller Review: BOB Stroller Strides Duallie Fitness Stroller
What an amazing double jogging stroller! BOB does it again. This exceptional stroller comes equipped with a Stroller Strides Fitness Kit which includes BOB Handlebar Console, Stroller Strides Exercise Manual and exercise tubing.
Even better than that wonderful addition is the absolute premium value that comes with this stroller. A state of the art suspension system makes sure every ride is comfortable for your little ones.
This stroller was designed to handle long runs on all kinds of terrain. There’s a wrist strap for safety, holders for cups, and an Accessory Adapter to quickly secure a car seat adapter or snack tray.
This is truly a best double jogging stroller! Now, if they only made this as a triple jogging stroller!
- Top of class quality in double jogging strollers
- Storage compartment that can hold a small cooler, snacks and even a small diaper bag
- Easy gliding and movement during runs or walks
- Heavier than some double jogging strollers
May not fit in smallest cars – make sure to measure your car and compare against specs